Welcome to the 3plmanager blog – if you are looking for tips, tools or techniques for successfully managing 3rd party logistics (3PL) service providers you’ve landed in the right place.
My name is Scott Leydin and I am the blogger behind 3plmanager.
Over the last 30 years or so I’ve learnt a thing or two about establishing, managing and developing partnerships with third party logistics (3PL) service providers and suppliers both here in Australia and around the world.
Currently I am the supply chain manager for an Australian sports apparel brand and as part of this role I manage 3rd party logistics service providers and suppliers in over 15 countries and across four continents.
My previous roles have included a couple of stints in logistics management roles at Hewlett Packard and I have also successfully operated my own business as an independent logistics consultant specializing in helping organisations better manage relationships with their third party logistics service providers.
So, what makes me any different from from the majority of people in this field?
Its the fact that I have also spent a considerable amount of time on the other side of the 3PL fence. I’ve had roles as a licensed customs broker, as the branch manager of an international freight forwarding company and as the general manager of large Australian transport and contract logistics company.
I have insight from both perspectives – I have been a user and a provider of 3rd party logistics services my whole career.
Over 5 years ago I started this blog simply as way to write about my professional passion for developing mutually beneficial partnerships with the 3rd party logistics (3PL) service providers that I dealt with on a daily basis.
The goal now however is to share this knowledge with you, and as many people as possible, by regularly creating content that is useful for establishing and managing 3rd party logistics service providers.
The content is developed with existing logistics and supply chain managers in mind but will also serve as a valuable resource for students or anyone else looking to understand the 3rd party logistics industry.
As an introduction to the site I’ve created a list of links (see below) to what I believe are some of the best bits of the 3plmanager blog so far.
I hope you enjoy the blog and don’t hesitate to reach out if you have a question or would like to provide some feedback about the site.
Scott – “the 3plmanager”
To connect with me via email or through any of my social networks click on one of the icons below
Weekly Logistics List
On a weekly basis I send out the Weekly Logistics List.
The Weekly Logistics List is a weekly blog post and email newsletter that provides a list of 5 tips, tools or techniques especially curated for logistics and supply chain managers.
Click the links below to view previous posts.
- 5 Logistics Blogs to Read
- 5 to follow on Twitter
- 5 Excel functions every logistics manager should know
- 5 Opportunities for Cost Reduction at your 3PL Warehouse
- 5 Key Performance Indicators for Monitoring your 3PL Operations
To receive a FREE copy of the next weeks’s Weekly Logistics List enter your details below.
Please note that we do not share our subscriber list with anyone – ever!
Most Read Posts
Below is list of the most popular posts on the 3plmanager site.
- What is 3rd Party Logistics (3PL)? – The ultimate guide including definitions of 1st, 2nd and 4th Party Logistics
- Understanding International Freight Forwarding Costs
- Understanding Customs Clearance Costs
- Understanding Transportation Services and Costs
- Understanding Warehouse Services and Costs – Part 1
- Understanding Warehouse Services and Costs – Part 2
- Understanding Warehouse Services and Costs – Part 3
- Understanding Third Party Logistics Warehouse Services – Part 4
FREE Tools and White Papers
You can also find a comprehensive assortment of FREE Tools, White Papers and How to Guides
- Third Party Logistics (3PL) Quick Cost Estimator
- Freight Forwarder Invoice Approval Checklist
- Road Express Transport – Chargeable Weight Calculator
- International Courier – Chargeable Weight Calculator
- Landed Cost Calculator – *Coming Soon*
White Papers and How To Guides
- A Guide to Managing 3PL Service Providers Using Outlook and OneNote
- Managing 3rd Party Logistics Service Providers
- 52 Tips for Reducing Logistics Costs
- A Guide to Selecting a 3rd Party Logistics Service Provider – *Coming Soon*
- A Guide to Selecting a Road Transport Service Provider – *Coming Soon*
- A Guide to Selecting an International Freight Forwarder – *Coming Soon*
- A Guide to Selecting a Customs Broker – *Coming Soon*
3PL Service Provider Directory
We also have a 3PL service provider directory.
Not only does the 3PL directory provide a comprehensive list of 3PL service providers it is the only logistics specific service provider directory (that I know of anyway) that allows users to evaluate and comment on the performance of their 3PL service providers.
For Logistics and Supply Chain Managers
If you are a logistics or supply chain manager – CLICK HERE to see the which companies have been added to the directory
If you would like to rate your 3PL service providers performance – CLICK HERE to see the 3PL service provider rating criteria and definitions, select the relevant 3PL service provider from the directory and go ahead and let the world know how you think they are performing.
If your 3PL service provider is not listed in the directory let me know and I’ll add them in for you.
For 3PL Service Providers
Subscribe to 3plmanager – it’s FREE
The best way to keep up to date with 3plmanager is to subscribe to our Weekly Logistics List newsletter – its FREE and you can rest assured that we do not share our subscriber list with anyone – ever!
To subscribe enter your details below.
You can also connect with me via email or through any of my social networks by clicking on one of the icons below
Thanks again for stopping by.
Scott – “the 3plmanager”